The Office of Planning and Development is located in the Courthouse Annex, which is the lighter colored brick structure immediately north of the County Courthouse. Our Office is on the first floor at the east end of the building.
Responsibilities of Planning and Development:
- Administer the following Ordinances: Zoning, Subdivision , Building Code, Flood Plain Management, Onsite Wastewater Treatment and Disposal (Septic), Private Water Well, Uniform Rural Addressing, Plugging of Abandoned Wells.
- Issues Permits – Building, Septic, Well and Zoning: Permit Applications
- Oversees the operation of the Transfer Station.
- Abatement of noxious weeds, Iowa Code: Chapter 317. Please click here.
- Administer the FY 2015-2016 Grants to County Program for the Pottawattamie County Board of Health – A state funded program that can be utilized for the testing of water from private water wells, properly plugging abandoned wells and renovation of existing wells to aid in the prevention of contamination sources. Contact the Planning Department for more information at 712.328.5792.
- Radon is an odorless, colorless, radioactive gas that is produced from the decay of naturally occurring uranium in the soil. Indoor levels can be very high – the only way to know the level of Radon gas in your home is to perform a test.Exposure to Radon gas causes lung cancer, in fact, it is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. (second only to smoking).Radon testing is very easy and inexpensive. For more information or to obtain a Radon test, contact the Planning Department at 712.328.5792.
Pottawattamie County’s Environmental Management System:
The County is currently reviewing how solid waste and recycling is being handled.
In 2015 the Board of Supervisors approved Baker Lemar to conduct a Study:
After the study was submitted to the Board, a Citizen Review panel was assembled to review the study and successful operations and alternatives to give the Board a Recommendation:
Currently the Environmental Management System consists of:
Pottawattamie County Transfer Station
42485 Mahogany Road
Hancock, Iowa 51536
The Transfer Station is located on Mahogany Road (County Road G-30) approximately 1 mile west of Hancock, Iowa.
Please forward mail directly to the Office of Planning & Development
Transfer Station Hours of Operation
8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. – Tuesday though Saturday.
Closed Sunday and Monday.
Transfer Station Telephone Numbers: