Federal Assistance

The Veteran Service Program provides assistance to all Veterans and their dependants in filing for Federal Benefits.

Eligibility for Federal Assistance Requires:

    • Be a wartime veteran with an honorable discharge (DD-214) between the following dates of service:
      Indian War 1/1/1817 – 12/21/1898
      Spanish American 4/21/1898 – 7/4/1902
      WWI 4/6/1917 – 11/11/1918
      WWII 12/7/1941 – 12/31/1946
      Korea 6/27/1950 – 1/31/1955
      Vietnam 8/5/1964 – 5/4/1975
      In Country 2/28/1961 – 5/4/1975
      Persian Gulf 8/2/1990 – No End Date Set
  • Be a widow or minor child of a wartime veteran honorably discharged between the prior list of dates
  • Be a resident of Pottawattamie County

Federal Benefits include:

  • Filing for Compensation for a Service Connected injury or illness
  • Filing for Veteran’s or Widow’s Pension
  • Eligibility for Home Loans
  • Eligibility Verification Report
  • Aid and Attendance for Nursing Home and Housebound Veterans
  • Iowa Veterans Home Admittance
  • Educational Benefits
  • Obtaining Military Records
  • Upgrading Discharge
  • Government Head Stone or Grave Markers


In the Spotlight

Hope 4 Iowa

The HOPE 4 IOWA Crisis Call Line connects individuals in crisis to a helping hand and the resources to address and improve mental wellness. Available 24/7. For more information visit our website here.








  • 1
  • 2

Pottawattamie County Emergency Notification System

The Alert Iowa system serves all residents within Pottawattamie County and it's Communities.

The Pottawattamie County Emergency Management Agency has implemented The Alert Iowa system, a high-speed notification solution and Weather Warning service. This no-charge service is available to businesses.

Click Here To Register